Tuesday 14 June 2011

Milk Punch and Conviviality

I skim through Dickens's Pickwick Papers occasionally and then stop at parts which are so funny I have to laugh out loud. Chortle, choke, roll on the floor. One day, when I'm reading it I'll actually count how many passages relate to the bracing effects of alcohol. Bracing. Bracing. Happifying. (So it belongs here, no? if it's happifying?)

"Well that certainly is the most capital cold punch," said Mr Pickwick, looking earnestly at the stone bottle; "and the day is extremely warm, and - Tupman, my dear friend, a glass of punch?"

"With the greatest delight," replied Mr Tupman; and having drank the glass, Mr Pickwick took another, just to see whether there was any orange peel in the punch, because orange peel always disagreed with him; and finding that there was not, Mr Pickwick took another glass to the health of their absent friend, and then felt himself imperatively called upon to propose another in honour of the punch-compounder, unknown.

This constant succession of glasses produced considerable effect upon Mr Pickwick; his countenance beamed with the most sunny smiles, laughter played around his lips, and good-humoured merriment twinkled in his eyes. Yielding by degrees to the influence of the exciting liquid, rendered more so by the heat, Mr Pickwick expressed a strong desire to recollect a song which he had heard in his infancy, and the attempt proving abortive, sought to stimulate his memory with more glasses of punch, which appeared to have quite a contrary effect; for, from forgetting the words of the song, he began to forget how to articulate any words at all; and finally, after rising to his legs to address the company in an eloquent speech, he fell into the barrow, and fast asleep, simultaneously.

7 comments:

  1. Gosh, I've not read Dickens in absolute ages. Great Expectations and A Tale of Two Cities pretty well sums it up. As I recall, the latter story was not especially... bracing... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean you haven't read Pickwick? Oh my God! Or as one of my new colleagues would say, OMG OMG!

    What are you waiting for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. (dons his tweed jacket and hunting cap, slides a small revolver in one pocket, waves down a hansom and is off like a shot down the cobblestones...)

    Ah, free even!

    The Pickwick Papers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, free even. (Does that version come with pictures? cos the pictures are real good)

    I will be running excerpts from Pickwick from time to time...mostly involving inebriation...a beaker of the warm south and all that.

    Hmmm...tweed jacket is funny. Well pip pip then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always delighted to find another Pickwick Papers-enthusiast! And as for the number of references to alcohol in its glorious pages - it’s in the region of three hundred. And how do I know that? Well, I have actually written a novel, called Death and Mr Pickwick, about Pickwick’s origins and afterlife, which will be published in a few months’ time. (Further information at www.deathandmrpickwick.com) And as my novel parallels The Pickwick Papers in various ways, I include plenty of drinking scenes too!
    Best wishes
    Stephen Jarvis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Stephen. And being a Pickwick-junkie I would definitely be interested in checking out your book. Do you know what milk punch is? Cos it sounds like something I would enjoy drinking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenn - I have only just seen this comment, because I have just googled 'milk punch'. I wonder whether you ever got to read Death and Mr Pickwick? Anyway there is a very active facebook page for the novel at www.facebook.com/deathandmrpickwick and the strange this is that one of my fans has just sent me a link about milk punch. You will see it if you go to the page. All the best Stephen

    ReplyDelete