Tuesday 17 May 2011

Pollyanna

A prime example of a miracle worker is Pollyanna. The ego knows this, which is why she is constantly invalidated in this culture. She walked into a situation where everyone had been in a nasty mood for years. She chose not to see the nastiness. She had faith in what lay beyond it. She extended her perception beyond what her physical senses revealed to her, to what her heart knew to be true about every human being. It didn't matter how anyone behaved. Pollyanna had faith in the love she knew existed behind anyone's fear, and thus she invoked their love into expression. She exercised the power of forgiveness. Within a short time, everyone was nice and everyone was happy! Whenever someone says to me, "Marianne, you're being a Pollyanna," I think to myself, "If only I were that powerful."

Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love



I just found this excerpt in a book I bought today.

The Real Story of Pollyanna

All my life, I've heard people say to me, "Oh you're just such a Pollyanna."

Pollyanna is thought of as some kind of positive ninny who naively tried to disregard "tough times".

The truth is, Pollyanna is the fictional story of a young girl whose parents had died, and she was sent to live with relatives she didn't know, in a small town.

She invented "the Glad Game" and relentlessly found something good in every situation, even though she was living through her own tough times. By doing this, she transformed the town.

Finding gifts and gladnesses in every situation does not mean disregarding pain, sorrow or suffering.

It means that you choose to see the gift in every situation, and believe it's always there.

And it's a joy to practice! If you choose to find and see "the bad", you will.

It really is THAT simple.

People practicing and sharing GLADNESS ARE GIFTS TO THE WORLD no matter what circumstances are happening.

I choose to live life as a "real" Pollyanna ad to share a life made of goodness and gladness.

I've been happily engaged in this all my life and it's
A LIFE FULL OF MIRACLES.

Sark, Glad No Matter What

Dance till the stars
come down with the rafters;
Dance, Dance,
Dance till you drop.


W. H. Auden

No comments:

Post a Comment