Wednesday 18 January 2012

When Good Enough Is Good Enough

Somedays you get up and just good enough is good enough. I woke up late this morning because I was up all hours at my good friend Alison's for a scrumptious dinner (we went on eating long after we were stuffed to the gills) and wine and talk...and basically, I wouldn't have even woken up then if Arnold hadn't howled. He wanted his walkies.

So I pulled on my dog-walking pants, staggered out, and he started jumping all around, tongue hanging out, happy at last. We went on this new route we have discovered which makes him even happier. New smells and all that.

Then I got home and tried to get some of my morning rituals going...and it got later and later...and finally out of the house at 9.50 and into work at 10.20 and there's a lunch somewhere at the KL Hilton that I optimistically agreed to go for (and now I wish I hadn't as it cuts into my day and I still have stuff to transcribe, stuff to write)...

As I sat on the sofa after my shower, willing myself to get up, get changed and go tilting at that particular windmill we call work, this extremely voice came into my head. It said, things may not be perfect, I may not be perfect, but then, I was not expected to be.

Do what I can today, do it the best I can, and tomorrow is another day, slate wiped clean.

My word for the year is 'follow through'. So I'll follow through even when I'm not up to par, even when I disappoint my own expectations, even when there's no applause from my invisible audience.

Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap.

And now, a pat on the head.

Good girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment