Wednesday 29 July 2015

Reflections

So every once in a while I like to stop and take stock. At the moment, things are surreal. I never know what is going to happen tomorrow. I mean I never knew before either, but at least, days had more structure, they were more predictable.

Or were they?

Do we go around with just an illusion of predictability, an illusion of a known universe...an illusion of control as long as you have your trusty to-do list and tick, tick, tick?

I don't know. I am told that meditating helps. It helps curb the strangeness or rather, it helps you deal with all that uncertainty because...well, you acquire this sort of strength to be able to take it all in and not be fazed. Or too fazed.

I have to say, the times where I actually did make a practise of meditating, my life did flow more smoothly, no matter what was happening all around. I was less affected. I was slower to react.

And that is a good thing.

I was reading a Jeanette Winterson article on the benefits of a prolonged fast. That's a fast not a diet. Eating nothing for a specified number of days and allowing your body to get on with the job of healing itself.

I think of the food overload and the sensory overload I subject to my system constantly.

I think I am due for a fast. For a whole manner of fasts.

I think I am due for a detox.

Pretty soon. Or maybe now.

No comments:

Post a Comment