Friday 8 January 2021

Books I read in 2020

I missed out a day yesterday. I spent the morning at the hospital trying to get my father's prescription renewed and then collecting his medicine and then registering to have said meds delivered in the future. I spent a lot of time standing around waiting and trying to find the different places I was supposed to go.

Long and short, I was too tired to care about much after. Came home to take a shower and then sleep. 

But every time I fall, I pick myself up and go gamely on. At least I hope I do. 

Anyway, today I thought I would share the list of books I read last year. Why? I dunno. Thought it would be interesting. And I'd like to have a record somewhere.

1. Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (Susanna Clarke)

2. Gingerbread (Helen Oyeyemi)

3. Miss Buncle's Book (D. E. Stevenson)

4. On Writers and Writing (Margaret Atwood)

5. Ten Minutes, 38 Seconds in This Strange World (Elif Shafak)

6. The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (Alan Bradley)

7. Hanging Man (Barnaby Martin)

8. The Dictionary of Mutual Understanding (Jackie Copleton)

9. Icefields (Thomas Wharton)

10. The Bookshop of the Brokenhearted (Robert Hillman)

11. The Awakening of Miss Prim (Natalie Sanmartin Fenollera)

12. A Very Special Year (Thomas Montasser)

13. Seven Letters from Paris (Samantha Verant)

14. Sing, Unburied, Sing (Jesmyn Ward)

15. The Professor (Charlotte Bronte)

16. The Humane Economy (Wayne Pacelle)

17. Many Lives, Many Masters (Brian Weiss)

18. A Tea Reader: Living life one cup at a time (compiled and edited by Katrina Avila Munichiello) 

19. The Trumpet-Major (Thomas Hardy) 

20. Flow (Mihaly Cziksenmihalyi)

21.. The Post Office Girl (Stefan Zweig)

22. Shine (Andy Copes and Gavin Oattes)

23. What Are You Afraid Of? (Dr David Jeremiah)

24. On Writing Well (William Zinsser)

25. Under The Greenwood Tree (Thomas Hardy)

26. Blowing Zen (Ray Brooks)

27. Reading Like A Writer (Francine Prose)

28. The Corpse Walker (Liao Yiwu)

29. The Lotus and the Robot (Arthur Koestler)

30. Flaneuse (Lauren Elkin)

31. Talk like TED (Carmine Gallo)

32. God is Red (Liao Yiwu)

33. Stoicism and the Art of Happiness (Donald Robertson)

34. Where the Crawdads Sing (Delia Owens)

35. Confessions of a Bookseller (Shaun Bythell)

36. Sun-Catcher (Romesh Gunasekara)

37. Miracle at Higher Grounds Cafe (Max Lucado)

38. Philosophy for Life and Other Dangerous Situations (Jules Evans)

39. Henri Cartier Bresson -- A Biography (Pierre Assouline)

40. A River Sutra (Gita Mehta)

41. The Morning They Came For Us (Janine di Giovanni)

42. With the End in Mind (Kathryn Mannix)

43. A Sentimental Education (Gustave Flaubert)

44. The Idiot (Elif Batuman)

45. Honour (Elif Shafak)

46. Must I Go? (Yiyun Li)

47. A Life Discarded (Alexander Masters)

48. Before The Coffee Gets Cold (Toshikazu Kawaguchi)

49. Dr Zhivago (Boris Pasternak)

50. Once Upon A River (Diane Setterfield) 

No comments:

Post a Comment