Thursday 13 October 2011

And I'll Miss You When You Go

My friend Anita is leaving for Singapore. This is her here, opening a present at one of her many goodbyes in her extended farewell tour.



This is the present she made for me two Christmases ago. We had dinner at Porto Romano to celebrate. A bottle of wine...and everything is light, bubbly, twinkling, funny.



And this is the poem I wrote when I knew she was leaving. Last year. And you may say, what's that doing in a joy blog? And I'll reply, sometimes, what gives us joy, also gives us sadness.

So good luck Nitsy Poo! I'll be all the way here, rooting for you!

The days draw in
the rains come
and somehow we wrap up
and snuggle
put up the twinkle lights
and celebrate

the warmth of the season
the smells, the colours
and everywhere
the evergreens abound
we talk, we smile
we burst into laughter
these are the days
we remember ever after

and I'll miss you when you go
I'll miss you when you go

One glass of wine
then two, maybe three

Squiffy now
cross-eyed
falling of the chair
everything's amusing
the lights are upside down
and the fake fireplace's a scream

and there's fondant melting in the car
be sure to put it in the freezer
and then the fridge

And this weekend you'll make cupcakes
and decorate them
beautiful
beautiful
perfect

And I'll miss you when you go
I'll miss you when you go

He said you would
You probably will
But I'll stay, see?

I'll stay here
and miss you
when you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment