Friday 28 October 2011

Mood Shifters

No matter how crummy I'm feeling there are books that serve as instant mood-lifters. Like anything by James Herriot. I rediscovered that recently as I read and actually Laughed Out Loud. There is also EF Benson's Lucia novels which you can actually get on Gutenberg as it's difficult to find in the stores. They are so good they're an addiction. You'll read nothing else for the duration. Or there is the evergreen Pickwick Papers.

For children's books, reading Wind in the Willows always brings about a shift of mood. Mr Toad, notwithstanding, it is a very gentle book. So much so that the menace of the weasels and the stoats are hinted at rather than actually shown. And in the only fight in the book, they are dispatched without much fuss.

Arnold lies next to me now cleaning his face and licking his bed. I think I'll give him a bath.

Think about what I said.

Later for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment