Tuesday 15 November 2011

The Long Quiet Highway



I love highways. I love driving alone along these highways. On and on and on....the car eating up the miles between me and where I'm going, nobody in the car, no music, just me, the road, my thoughts and the profound silence that comes from aloneness.

Aloneness I love.

Loneliness I can do without.

But one doesn't actually have to mean the other.

N'um saying?

I hear people say they hate driving alone, they hate driving at night, they hate driving long distances.

I love all three.

I love going off by myself somewhere, sometime, phone switched off, away from the world, the world I adore, the people I adore, the ones who are too much with me day and night.

And night and day.

I was born a loner.

Solitude is comfortable.

And so I drive alone, just me and the highway, getting nowhere fast because I don't like to speed.

See you when you get there.

And I'll get there when I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment