Monday 28 November 2011

My New Favourite Pants

See, I am not very fashionable. I take comfort over style any day.

Which is why these are my new favourite pants.

Here I am, showing them off at the E&O.



They are sooooo comfortable you wouldn't believe it. Who cares if people give me sidelong glances and snigger appreciatively? They are still my new favourite pants. I bought them at the foot of the Kek Lok Si temple (which makes them semi-holy, and no, not in a bad way).

Funny thing happened at Kek Lok Si. Jackie was paying for some wind chimes she had bought for the big M and a pretty Chinese fan. She was vaguely aware of someone standing close by casting a huge shadow and she thought, hmmm, Jennifer has really put on. (put on what? weight of course. what else is there?).

Then she looked up at the porker blocking the sun, and surprise, surprise, it wasn't me. It was this little tadiyan (fatty). She quickly came over to me and said...look over there, look at that boy.

So I looked. And then she told me the story. I nearly fell off a high place laughing.

Jennifer has really put on?

Sigh. Yes she has.

And Penang hasn't helped.

Never mind, at least I fit my favourite pants.

Penang was fantastic. Here are Jackie and Simon waiting for the inclined train to take us back down the hill. We'd been up to see the huge statue of Kuan Yin.



We spent a lot of time walking around in the hot sun. Getting lost. But managing to put away quite a bit nonetheless. Banana leaf. Nasi lemak. Roti canai. Pasembor. Nasi kandar. Mee goreng mamak. Char kueh teow. Assam laksa. Chicken rice. Pork satay. Lo Mee. Apple tart. Kahlua brownies. Hazelnut gamache. World-famous cendol. Gelati.

This funny ais kachang that wasn't quite ais kachang as it used fruit instead of kachang.



Oh yeah, we made our pilgrimage to Crag Hotel. This is my third time there. First time in 2002. Second time in 2004. It hasn't changed. Although last I heard, Amanresorts had bought the building and were going to do something fantastic with it. We wandered through the ruins, fascinated.

Here's the traditional pose in front of the building.



Isn't it lovely?

In other words, Penang was a blast. We ate too much, talked to many, many strangers (that was me, not Simon or Jackie), walked all over the place, got lost (here Sue-Ann's sat nav that we named Dora the Explorer, among other things, because she had a disturbing habit of trying to get us to drive into the sea, came in handy).

Please observe the speed limit.

Please observe the speed limit.

Please observe the speed limit.


I still like my pants.

1 comment:

  1. Venus By the Beach? Don't you look cute! Quite the jaunty traveller, too, with that hat. I like the pants! When I was growing up in Port Arthur, I had a pair of olive cargo pants that I wore nearly every single day (to the point where my friends joked they'd appear instantly, if I merely whistled). I cared not a bit, they were the softest, most comfortable and most useful pair of pants I owned. Glad your birthday was full of laughter! ;-)

    ReplyDelete