Thursday 8 December 2011

Christmas Cards


This year I have been behind. I can blame it on the job but I guess it's more to do with a lack of organisation. Usually I spread the Christmas cards over November and send them off post-haste on December 1.

This time around, I only started writing them out on December 4. Can you believe it? I wrote out Christmas cards late into the night until I fell asleep and then I was at it again, the next day in the office, in between calling analysts to ask about a company, whose CEO I was supposed to be writing about. You couldn't think of two more dissimilar activities.

Anyway, then I stood in line for hours at the Post Office (what I call the December effect) as I tried to post my first batch of Christmas cards and one parcel. The line grew cobwebs as the one guy handling letters and parcels did his best. The problem was that all of us came laden with so many and had all these separate instructions - this one registered, that one no need...these are for Europe, this bunch for Australia, this bunch for the US...and this for Asean...some more...for Malaysia.

Then when I finally got the stamps...handed the parcel back to the post office...there was the licking and sticking to go...and I thought...this is why people don't send Christmas cards anymore. It is such a production! But then, what is Christmas without those cheerful cards full of robins and geese arriving in the post?

I used to love it as a kid. And I guess I desperately try to hold on to some remnants of the Christmas spirit now. But sometimes, despite the tinsel and fake holly and snow around me, it's hard.

So I posted off the one batch and came back to the office to see all the names I hadn't addressed yet. Some of them, I didn't have current addresses for. I had sent off Facebook messages ...no reply.

I think there should be a cut off time.

But then I think off Mum who cheerfully sends off her cards on December 19, if she does at all. And think...maybe it's all right. I'll cut myself some slack and do what I can.

Even if I'm late and you don't get your cards in time, remember...I'm sending you good wishes in my head.

Bonne Noel Et Joyeux Fetes!

No comments:

Post a Comment