Sunday 18 December 2011

Esther, Me and the Bears

I went out with Esther yesterday. We painted the town all shades of orange. Well, actually, we decided, or rather I decided, to do something different. Go somewhere we had not gone together before. Enjoy the Christmas lights of Bukit Bintang. Instead, we enjoyed the lights of the cars in front of us. And the cars at the back of us.

To say we were packed in like sardines would make me guilty. Of understatement. The irony was I found an untraffic-clogged shortcut to the Pavilion. Once we got there, it said that all the carparks were full. Did we heed that? No!

Esther would ask God for a parking place. I would ask the patron saint of hopeless cases. All in all, bases covered and that sort of thing. So we rounded the basement 1, with the increasingly irate drivers all fighting for the no parking places or carving out one where none existed.

And then, we went to Basement 2. Rounded again. To no avail. Chatting to while away the voluptuous hours spent in the car. Esther remained calm. But Carol is my middle name. Not calm. And sorry, Boh, but your tea just won't do it, despite your claims of zen in a cup.

They closed the way to Basement 3. Then opened it. And Esther kept praying. And me, I was silently cursing. So much for showing my friend a good time, the buddy bears, the BB lights, the magnificence of Pavilion.

And then a slight miracle opened up in the space between breaths. A car pulled out. And the car that appeared to be waiting there for the parking place, didn't pull in. So I did. And it was close to one of the entrances. Joyfully we made our way out of the car. Only to go back several times because I had forgotten this, that or the other.

So, dinner first.

Pepper lunch?

My Pavilion favourite.



This the beef pepper rice. It arrives steaming, and you're supposed to mix it up, with a generous helping of either the sweet or salty sauce. It's so yum I finished every last grain.

And then we went to see the bears.



The bears are from 140 countries. A local artist from each country painted it to represent the country. When I was rushing for an interview sometime about two weeks ago, I saw the following bear. I had to stop and look...no, it couldn't be, not in Malaysia. But yes, it was.

So of course, when I came back with Esther, both of us had to take pictures with it.





The Israel bear.

And then we each took pictures with some of our personal favourites:



Esther quite liked the "respect for ALL life" bear.



Viva la France!



When I picked her up, Esther had been listening to Korean songs. So this seemed particularly, apposite.



Quick! What is Moldova famous for? Give up? Well, you've obviously not read the Geography of Bliss! It's the saddest country in the world. Can you believe it? Now look at that bear and tell me it's not one of the most cheerful ones you have ever seen!

Anyway, it was coming on 11, and we decided against a nearly midnight gelato. Instead, we would go to Backyard for the dregs of its Christmas party.

Hah!

The carpark was so jammed, the traffic was unmoving. I lost my temper a couple of times with idiots who didn't want to cue but went around to cut in. Esther, serene as always, asked me to calm down.

Cue gasp, smoke streaming through my nose.

We spent about an hour getting out of that carpark (in hindsight, should have had that gelati instead, and waited.

And then it was too late to go to Backyard...but it was bliss driving on the highways, unhemmed in by traffic, thinking of the bears...

I wanted to do something different. This sure was different.

Cards are done done. Kat received my present and posted pictures on the FB for me to see...glory be! Most of the office presents done.

And now...just three stories to go (and maybe one Coffee Break) and I am home free, free, free!

Goodnight my angel, now it's time to sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment