Tuesday 6 September 2011

King Lear


This particular excerpt from King Lear always makes me cry. Not the part where he's raving at the storm, not the part where he's cursing his daughters and feeling all alone. No, only two scenes in Lear made me cry. It was this one, and the one after, when Cordelia dies and Lear tries to wake her up.

This happens after Lear reaches the height of madness, and is taken under Cordelia's care. It's like falling off a tree into the arms of your mother. Cordelia has every reason to hate him. He banished her for not saying she loved him enough. Although she loved him the most but couldn't bring herself to wax lyrical about it for material gain. Her sisters, who didn't, had no problem doing it and dividing the kingdom between them. Lear starts to fall apart from the guilt over what he did to Cordelia and the anger at his other two daughters Goneril and Regan.

I remember writing an exam essay about King Lear being about Redemption - except that it was not death that brought him redemption but the following conversation.

Cordelia: How does my royal lord? How fares your majesty?

Lear: You do me wrong to take out o'th'grave.
Thou art a soul in bliss, but I am bound
Upon a wheel of fire, that mine own tears
Do scald like molten lead.

Cordelia: Sir, know me.

Lear: You're a spirit, I know. Where did you die?

Cordelia:(to the Doctor) Still, still far wide!

Doctor: He's scarce awake. Let him alone a while.

Lear: Where have I been? Where am I? Fair daylight?
I am mightily abused. I should e'en die with pity
To see another thus. I know not what to say.
I will not swear these are my hands. Let's see:
I feel this pin prick. Would I were assured
Of my condition.

Cordelia: (kneeling) O look upon me, sir,
And hold your hands in benediction o'er me.
No, sir, you must not kneel.

Lear: Pray do not mock.
I am a very foolish, fond old man,
Fourscore and upward, and to deal plainly,
I fear I am not in my perfect mind.
Methinks I should know you, and know this man;
Yet I am doubtful, for I am mainly ignorant
What place this is; and all the skill I have
Remembers not these garments; nor I know not
Where I did lodge last night. Do not laugh at me,
For as I am a man, I think this lady
To be my child, Cordelia.

Cordelia: And so I am.

Lear: Be your tears wet? Yes, faith. I pray, weep not.
If you have poison for me, I will drink it.
I know you do not love me; for your sisters
Have, as I remember, done me wrong.
You have some cause; they have not.

Cordelia: No cause, no cause.

Lear: Am I in France?

Kent: In your own kingdom, sir.

Lear: Do not abuse me.

Doctor: Be comforted, good madam. The great rage
You see is cured in him, and yet it is danger
To make him even o'er the time he has lost.
Desire him to go in; trouble him no more
Till further settling.

Cordelia:(to Lear) Will t'please your
highness walk?

Lear: You must bear with me
Pray now, forget and forgive. I am old
And foolish.

No comments:

Post a Comment