Sunday 25 September 2011

Lectio Divina

My friend Mike sent me this. And I loved it so much that I think it belongs here:

Oh--I came across this little tidbit translated from the Ancrene Wisse (a set of medieval guidelines outlining proper eremetic behaviour for female monastics):

Inertia's remedy is spiritual gladness and the consolation of glad hope, through reading, through holy thinking, or from people's mouths. Often, dear sisters, you must pray less in order to read more. Reading is good prayer. Reading teaches how and what to pray, and prayer obtains it afterwards. ... [Quoting Jerome, Letter 22], "Let there be holy reading always in your hand; let sleep steal away your book from you as you hold it, and let the holy page receive your drooping head." You must read earnestly and long like this. Everything, however, can be overdone: moderation is always best.

Lectio Divina indeed, every single day until you fall asleep--sign me up! :-)

1 comment: