Friday 23 March 2012

The Counter Image


I found this in a book I was supposed to read and review. I loved the image so much I thought I would put it here. I couldn't find the image on the net. I think it must still be a "work in progress". But what a lovely thought.

(The following is from Jonathan Field's Uncertainty, a book I would definitely recommend)

After decades as a director of stage plays and movies, repeated exposure to one of history's most horrific clips of documentary film - bodies being dumped like refuse into a mass grave during the Holocaust - left him rattled to the point of needing to find or create the opposite countering image.

The solution came in a dream, as detailed and vivid as a movie: a massive wave, populated by 55 people of all sizes and shapes frolicking and surfing in a state of absolute bliss. A mental snapshot of the absolute peak, as the wave's crest coincided with a collective state of maximum joy, would become Wallace's "blueprint" for a life-size metal sculpture that he felt compelled to create.

********************************************

If you want to hear him tell it in his own words, watch the following clip:

No comments:

Post a Comment