Thursday 19 November 2015

The Healing Power of Pets



I have been feeling pretty seedy lately. The latest bout with illness was when a massive pocket under my new crown filled with food: food impaction, gum infection, pain radiating out to the top left half of my mouth...I was in agony. A visit to the dentist and I went home with the area cleaned, feeling better if weaker...to rest.

But the pain meds didn't work (the pain in my gums was something awful) and after a while I started reacting to the antibiotics.

One day, lying in bed feeling miserable, I felt Ebony creep up and lie on my left side. He just lay there and after a while, I noticed the pain leaving me. Nothing had worked before this. Not positive thinking, not washing out my mouth, not the frigging pain meds. But Ebony lying on me for a half hour or so did.

Now, Ebony is a very independent kitten and he usually likes lying somewhere near me but not within touching distance. It was clear that he knew there was something wrong with me and that I needed him. He is an uncanny kitten that way.

Later, when I reacted to the meds and started to purge he came and lay on me again. And that was the only stretch where I got some sleep. Otherwise, I was running to the bathroom every 10 minutes until I became weak, weary and dehydrated.

I am feeling better now. Not 100% but more normal than I felt all this week.

And my kitties are back to normal as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment