Sunday 3 July 2011

How To Look Younger And Then Some

I wrote this when I was 34. Now I'm nearly 40. And I still look 10 whole months younger. Something must be working.

"How old are you?" he asked, casually, like it's a polite question and not one of the 10 big no-nos and likely to get you bitch slapped.

"34 years and what month is it now, August? Well 34 years and 9 months exactly," I answer because one of my affectations is that I always answer this question without hesitation. (My other is that I insist on using a fountain pen, which makes many people look at me askance, but let us be eccentric or die)

"Wow. You don't look your age at all. In fact, if you hadn't told me, I would have not pegged you at over 33 years and 11 months," he breaks into an artless guffaw.

I am stunned. 10 whole months younger! I must be doing something right. Trouble is, I don't know what. So here, in an effort to share the blessing, I give you all the ways I know of to look at least 10 months younger.

1. Be a bum: Now, this may be obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people are addicted to having jobs they hate.

2. Go through periodic bouts of intense depression: I dunno, it's probably cathartic or something, but it certainly works for me.

3. Eat more chocolate: See it's all about being happy and more chocolate makes everyone happier.

4. Have brief forays into alcoholism during which you write suicidal poetry: Happened, in Australia where the wine was cheaper and more accessible. Again, donno why but it seemed to work.

5. Toss off phrases like "I don't suffer assholes gladly" and then don't. They'll give you a wide berth. It may be a little lonely at first, especially if you're surrounded by them, but heck, it probably shaves like a couple of months off your biological age.

6. Go for long walks at the Bukit Kiara arboretum: During which time you take note of how all the geriatrics are much fitter than you. Then come back and eat a whole tub of ice cream to comfort yourself.

7. Hang about with people a lot older than you: Like at least 50 years older. You're bound to look younger then.

8. Lose your temper often: Again, catharsis.

9. Cuddle your Mummy and climb on her lap if you can: She may scream get off you baby elephant, but enjoy it before she pushes you off.

10. If all else fails, learn to make really good desserts: You can bribe your friends into saying you look 10 months younger.

10 comments:

  1. Who knew? I've mastered no less than five of your secrets, but I'll not say which five... ;-)

    The next time someone has the gall to ask your age, you could soberly inform them that you've been 35 for nearly 20 years, thanks to the restorative properties of regularly bathing in the blood of virgins. Bonus points for an unflinching, deadpan delivery. Then break into song, a la Sweeney Todd...

    You know you're still hot, admit it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, this is why I love you. You're probably the only one in the known universe to think I'm hot.

    Also, I've re-reading the list and trying to figure out which five! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol--goodness, dearheart. My tastes are not even remotely unusual, so I know I cannot be the only one that thinks you're hot! In a city the size of KL, there are (according to my loose projections) probably no fewer than 3000 suitable men who think you're hot, with the actual figure probably being 5x to 10x higher. That is equivalent to a small city of people who are already convinced of your inherent hotness! The real challenge lies in sifting through that population to exclude the ones that 1) are shiftless philanderers 2) have poor dental hygiene 3) possess hidden physical deformities 4) fail to appreciate your lovely, unique sense of humor 5) have ever, at any point in their lives, asked a woman her age. That should leave us with at least 5,000-10,000 prospects, in KL alone. I think your odds are much better than you suspect! ;-)

    Spoiler Alert: #10, #9, #7, #4, #3 and I am working really hard to put myself in a position where I can actually afford #1 (oh, the irony).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I love the five you've picked. You cuddle your mommy too? Who knew?

    Also chocolate, alcohol and bumming - three of my favouritest things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shhh--if word of that gets around, people may start to assume that I'm no longer a battle axe and then I'll have to work twice as hard to convince them otherwise! :)

    "...these are a few of my favorite things..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a battle axe? Seriously? The picture I have of you in my head is someone everyone spontaneously drops in on for a cuddle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh, now that you mention it, I do have friends that actually do that. What can I say, hugs are free and should be abundantly distributed to anyone and everyone in need. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK I need a hug. I so need a hug now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. (big warm hug)

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete